If your organization has more people leaving than joining you have a problem.
This chart from Pew Research Center gives you some things to think about.
- Lack of leadership – are you selecting the right leaders? Take a look at how your leaders are selected and if needed create a process that attracts and educates the best talent.
- Loss of interest – is your purpose and goals clear to everyone? Clear compelling and inspirational goals properly communicated will keep everyone focused and interested.
- Lack of accomplishment – do your goals include a method for measuring achievement? Just having goals is not enough. You must be able to know if you’re on the right track.
- No mutual respect – is there a culture of collaborative dialogue? A team approach that allows for everyone to be heard and their opinion considered must be present.
- Too much information – are the communications members receiving full of requests for time and money? Ask how much information a person wants to receive and respect that wish.
- Too much responsibility – are you constantly asking those most active to assume all the responsibilities? Know your members well enough so you can utilize all the talent not just those who readily volunteer.